Ancestral Wisdom from a Hawaiian Shaman (Hank Wesselman)
As modern interest in indigenous wisdom grows, more and more spiritual seekers are turning to Hawaiian shamanism for its remarkable ability to reveal our inner divinity to us. With The Bowl of Light, paleoanthropologist Hank Wesselman, PhD, provides a rare glimpse into the heart of this tradition as he unveils the teachings passed down to him from the great Kahuna elder, Hale Makua. Before his passing, this revered shaman and wisdom keeper granted Dr. Wesselman permission to share sacred spiritual knowledge seldom imparted to outsiders, including:
- The “Bowl of Light”—the vessel for our divine essence and how we must care for it to sustain our natural radiance
- The three directives of the spiritual warrior—love with humility, live with reverence, and know with self-discipline
- Rare descriptions of rituals used by Hale Makua for communing with nature, receiving wisdom from the spirit world, purifying our consciousness, and more
- The Ancestral Grand Plan—exploring the path our ancestors set in motion millennia ago and how the Plan is playing out across the world today
In the oceanic islands where the flow of primal energies has created unparalleled natural beauty, one of the world’s most advanced spiritual cultures remains largely unknown to the West. With The Bowl of Light, Hank Wesselman offers a privileged and intimate view into the mind of an authentic Hawaiian kahuna—for the time has finally come for the world to hear the wisdom that this profound tradition offers.
- Part 1: An Unusual and Enduring Friendship between two Elders: Hear the beautiful story of how to two men, contemporaries in age, yet vastly different background join together to share information to us about Kahuna wisdom. This partnership encourages all of us to find our own inner divinity through self-discovery and to loosen the hold of religious zealots who hold us in a place of fear and confrontation.
- Part 2: Understanding who we are and where we are Hawaiian Style: You’ll be surprised when you hear the role Archangel Michael had in helping Chief Hale Makua describe the Hawaiian concepts of our roles in life. What is your role and are you expressing it in what the Hawaiians refer to as positive polarity or negative polarity? Hawaiians Shamans believe that things go in a cycle with the end being marked with everything unraveling. Sound familiar? This period of unraveling presents an opportunity for us to create a new way of living, advance spiritually, and in turn be the change we want to see in the world to a positive polarity.
- Part 3:The Ultimate Game of Life. Will we win the Game? The ultimate goal for our society is to expand our horizons and master our knowledge of spirituality, self-assurance, and knowledge. We will do this through connecting with others family, and creating local communities. The result will be self-mastery, spiritual evolution, and respect for protection and well-being for the planet. How will we get there? Can we find our inner power and voice to create our own realities versus giving away our power to others (politicians, business people, etc)?
- Part 4: Meeting the Angel of Death What would you do if in your minds eye you saw a 50 foot dark figure? If you called 911 you would likely have a nice bed in a mental hospital waiting for you. Learn about Hank’s transformative experience which resulted in a career move from being a top-notch scientist to becoming a spiritual leader studying and teaching on Shamanism.
About our Guest:
Research anthropologist Hank Wesselman is one of those rare cutting edge scientists who truly walks between the worlds. He did his undergraduate work, as well as his Masters Degree, in Zoology at the University of Colorado at Boulder, then went on to receive his doctoral degree in Anthropology from the University of California at Berkeley.
A native New Yorker, he has spent much of his life living and working among traditional tribal peoples, primarily in Africa and Polynesia. He served in the US Peace Corps in the 1960’s, living among people of the Yoruba Tribe in Western Nigeria for two years. It was there that he first became interested in indigenous spiritual wisdom.
Since 1971, he has conducted research with an international group of scientists, exploring eastern Africa’s Great Rift Valley in search of answers to the mystery of human origins. During this time, he has worked alongside such worthies as Dr. Don Johanson, Lucy’s discoverer; Professor Tim White, whose expeditions have been featured in several TIME magazine cover stories, as well as members of the famous Leakey family. He is one of the primary investigators involved in the discovery of the “Ardi” sites (Ardiptithecus ramidus) in Ethiopia–recently revealed to be the famous missing link between humans and apes that Charles Darwin predicted would be found in Africa. Hank’s research is involved with the paleoenvironmental reconstruction of the sites (4-6 million years old) at the time they were laid down.
Hank is also a shamanic student, practitioner and teacher, now in the 28th year of his apprenticeship.
In addition to his scientific papers and monographs, his books include his autobiographical trilogy: SPIRITWALKER: MESSAGES FROM THE FUTURE (Bantam, 1995), MEDICINEMAKER: MYSTIC ENCOUNTERS ON THE SHAMAN’S PATH (Bantam, 1998), and VISIONSEEKER: SHARED WISDOM FROM THE PLACE OF REFUGE (Hay House, 2001). These unusual books are focused upon a series of altered state experiences that began spontaneously out in the bush of Africa and document his investigations into a hidden reality that most of us have heard about, but few have experienced directly. In his explorations of these inner worlds, Hank may have also provided us with a glimpse into the possible evolutionary future of humanity. Combining the sober objectivity of a trained scientist with a mystic’s passionate search for deeper understanding, his books also contain revelations of the generally secret teachings of the Hawaiian kahunas.
His smaller teaching books include THE JOURNEY TO THE SACRED GARDEN: A GUIDE TO TRAVELING IN THE SPIRITUAL REALMS (Hay House 2003) and SPIRIT MEDICINE: HEALING IN THE SACRED REALMS (Hay House, 2004) co-authored with his wife Jill Kuykendall.
His newest book (co-authored with Sandra Ingerman) is AWAKENING TO THE SPIRIT WORLDS: THE SHAMANIC PATH OF DIRECT REVELATION (Sounds True, 2010.)
Larry Dossey MD has described Hank Wesselman as an expert guide who fully realizes that he is playing with scientific and spiritual dynamite.
Hank currently lives on the Kona coast of Hawai’i island with his family, where they are involved in sustainable food production on their farm in Honaunau. He continues to write and to teach workshops across the country and abroad.
- Hank’s website: www.sharedwisdom.com>
- Upcoming Events:
- California 5 day Visionseeker level one workshop at the Esalen Institute in Big Sur CA June 17-22
- East Coast: A weekend workshop at the Omega Institute June 29-July 1 and a five day Visionseeker workshop on Shamanic Cosmology July 1-6
- Pacific Northwest: Intro Spiritwalker weekend workshop July 27-29 followed by a five day Spirit Medicine workshop July 29-Aug 3