Get off the couch (Cris Kessler)
Is that gut yours for life? Wondering whether there is a way to relieve your blues, decrease stress, and reduce your cholesterol and blood pressure? Exercise is your answer. But, how do you start? How can you make exercise part of your regular routine? What are misconceptions people have about working out? Get expert tips on how to make it fun and painless. Great websites to help you keep on track.
About our Guest:
Cris Kessler is a 59 year old MSW who started a new career in Personal training 5 years ago after being a coach for women training for the Danskin and Trek women’s only triathlon series. The thrill of participating in and training others for triathlons led her to becoming a Master Trainer for Heart Zones Training and a certified ACE Personal Trainer. Besides training Cris is co-owner of Cognitive Fitness, LLC a business founded with her writing partner, Marla Fields, to promote their book, “Fresh Off the Couch, What you didn’t know about fitness makes all the difference”. Her 25 years as a social worker and her work as Adjunct Faculty at the the Graduate School of Social Work at the University of Washington gave her a great basis to establish training seminars for both Social Workers & Nurses to get CEUs that improved their clinical skills by helping them to become healthier. In all her work she tries to help people from all walks of life to use their hearts to change their minds about fitness.
- What are some unexpected benefits of exercise? Cris offers her perspective on why exercise is more about improving your lifestyle and life, and not just about getting slim.
- Is there a way to make working out simple and fun? Cris shares a workout routine that even the most hesitant couch potato can manage.
- What are some good metrics to measure your progress? Maybe the BMI created in the 1800’s is not the best way for you to access your fitness, Cris offers some more modern day resources.
Check out the following websites and podcasts to get you on your path:
- Cris’ book: http://freshoffthecouch.ning.com/
- Count your calories- CJ can personally recommend this calorie counter that offers both an ipod calorie counter on the road and a PC one:http://www.mynetdiary.com/
- If you get motivated by working out with others, check out the community on http://www.shape.com/
- This website offers some good information on goal setting and creating plans http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/weightlossgoals.htm).
- Offers a 30 day program for newbies: http://exercise.about.com/od/exerciseforbeginners/a/30dayquickstartweekone.htm
- Remove roadblocks: reasehttp://exercise.about.com/cs/fittingitin/a/exerciseobstacl.htm