Urban Gardening- Feed your belly, just by walking out your back door (Amy Pennington)
Do you want to cook more creatively and more healthfully from home without breaking the bank? Join Amy Pennington, author of Urban Pantry, one of Amazon’s Top 10 Cookbooks of 2010 and learn how to grow squash on your patio, flowers in your window box, and pick blackberries from your parking strip. Beginning and experienced urban gardening folks will discover how to save money on produce and impress friends with their newly-tenacious green thumbs.
Radio Interview on Urban Gardening
- Are you thinking of trying out gardening? Want to know the basics? What are some typical first time gardening mistakes? Want some watering tips? Listen to Amy’s simple and pragmatic tips.
- What are some basics that you should stock in your kitchen? Want some practical tips on how to use up all your kitchen items so they don’t go past their expiration date?
- What are some lifestyle enhancements you can get by gardening or canning/pickling?
Amy Pennington- Author of Urban Pantry, featured on Martha Stewart, Writer for Edible Seattle
Food enthusiast Amy Pennington is the creator and owner of GoGo Green Garden, and edible garden business wherein she builds, plants and tends edible gardens for city folk in their backyards. In March of 2009, Amy launched UrbanGardenShare.org, a garden website that pairs city gardeners with unused garden space via an online matching site.
She has been featured on Whole Living Martha Stewart Sirius Radio and in national and international publications including Woman’s Day Magazine and the Toronto Star. Amy is a regular
contributing writer to Edible Seattle, a bi-monthly food focused magazine highlighting the culinary bounty of the Puget Sound region. Her first book, Urban Pantry, was published in spring of 2010 and was chosen as one of Amazon.coms Best Cookbooks Of The Year. She lives in Seattle. Visit www.gogogreengarden.com to learn more.
Resources on Urban Gardening:
- Amy’s websites: www.gogogreengarden & www.urbangardenshare.org
- Renewing America’s Food traditions: www.slowfoodusa.org/index.php/programs/details/raft
- Organic Seed Alliance: www.seedalliance.org
- Rodale’s Ultimate Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening.
- Farmers Markets and Local Food Marketing www.ams.usda.gov/amsv1.0/farmersmarkets
- National Center for Home Food Preservation www.uga.edu/nchfp
- Cooperative Extension Programs: www.csress.usda.gov/extension
- To Buy Amy’s Books:
- Urban Pantry Tips: http://www.amazon.com/Urban-Pantry-Recipes-Sustainable-Seasonal/dp/1594853460
- Apartment Gardening: http://www.gogogreengarden.com/my-new-garden-book