Death & Beyond
What is a medium? (Necole Stephens video)
How can you communicate with a deceased loved one? What to watch out for if you want to hire a psychic medium? How mediums work? What to expect before a session? What is a medium? CJ get answers on the frequently asked questions from medium Necole Stephens.
What is Mediumship? What is a medium?
Mediumship is the practice of individuals —known as mediums—who have the gift of being able to communicate with a deceased loved one that has crossed over to the other side.
There are two different types of mediums available for a session or reading with a loved one. There are physical mediums and mental mediums. It may be helpful to read the descriptions below and hear the demonstration via Youtube so you have an idea on what to expect during a reading and what appeals to you the most.
Video Answers: Click on timestamp for answers
0:32 What is a medium?
1:00 How medium Necole Stephens found out that she was a medium?
1:23 How did medium Necole Stephens discover she was a medium?
3:51 What event moved Necole Stephens into accepting her gifts as a medium?
4:29 How do you know you aren’t crazy if you are hearing voices?
6:24 What are the different forms of mediumship?
6:45 What is mental medium? How does a mental medium work?
7:12 What is trans medium or physical mediumship?
10:59 Why would a person prefer a mental or physical medium?
11:43 What is channeling?
What is a mental mediumship (telepathy)?
A mental medium uses their gifts, which may be through hearing (clairaudience), visions (clairvoyance), and/or feels (clairsentience) to communicate messages from the spirits.
- Clairaudienceor “clear hearing“, is when a medium can to hear the voices or thoughts of spirits. Your medium may say “Your grandmother is saying that she wants you to dress in a more feminine way”.
- Clairvoyanceor “clear seeing”, is the ability to see something “in the mind’s eye”. “Your uncle is showing me a picture of red bike with bells on it”.
- Clairsentienceor “clear sensing“, is the ability to have a sense of what a spirit wants to communicate, or to feel sensations instilled by a spirit.” I feel something like tubes sticking out of your grandfather’s nose”.
- Clairalienceor “clear smelling” is the ability to smell a spirit. “I am smelling the pipe tobacco of a person who smoked during life”
- Clairgustanceor “clear tasting” is the ability to receive taste impressions from a spirit. “I’m tasting coffee”.
- Claircognizanceor “clear knowing” is the ability to know something without receiving it through normal or psychic senses. It is a feeling of “just knowing”. “ I’m sensing that something went wrong during your son’s surgery”.
Physical mediumship is when a medium allows external spirit entities to control the medium’s mind and body to cause something to happen on this plane of reality. A crude way of thinking of this is that of a puppet. The spirit uses the mediums mind and body to communicate. The medium must be willing to have their own thoughts step aside and enable spirit to talk directly to spirit. The spirit, whether it is man or woman, uses the human form and voice of the medium, which allows the spirit to talk directly to love one in the spirit world versus a mental medium who relays messages from your loved ones to their clients (sitters).
In physical mediumship spirits can manipulate energies via ectoplasm, which results in a client experiencing physical smells, hot or cold drafts, levitation of objects/people, production of lights, apportation of objects from mid air, genuine writing and painting, transfiguration, spirit lights, raps or knocks, direct voice communication, and physical apparitions on the Earth plane.
What is ectoplasm?
While in a state of deep trance, your loved ones spirit is able to exude etheric energy and substance from the medium’s body (generally through some orifice, mouth, nose or solar plexus), condense it, manipulate it, and direct it, through the power of their mind and intelligence. It is the means that is used that enables a spirit to merge with a medium and can either be visible or invisible; white or colored. The spirit guides what appears with the ectoplasm.
“ This material is excreted as a gauze-like substance from orifices on the medium’s body and spiritual entities are said to drape this substance over their nonphysical body, enabling them to interact in the physical and real universe. Some accounts claim that ectoplasm begins clear and almost invisible, but darkens and becomes visible, as the psychic energy becomes stronger. Still other accounts state that in extreme cases ectoplasm will develop a strong odor. According to some mediums, the ectoplasm can not occur in light conditions as the ectoplasmic substance would disintegrate.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ectoplasm_(paranormal)
This is when the medium transforms or transfigures and when you look at the medium, you will not see the mediums face but see your loved ones, or hear your loved one’s voice. Here’s an audio tape: (http://psychictruth.info/Medium_Queenie_Nixon.htm)
Demonstration of David Thomson:
In direct voice the voices did not come through the medium’s mouth or from anyone else in the room, instead it’s the voice of their loved ones that are heard through a voice box (trumpet) that appears for the reading and then disappears afterwards. You can hear recordings of spirits voice that came through during sessions with direct voice Medium Leslie Flint: http://adcguides.com/validity2.htm here.
A longer demonstration and explanation is demonstrated here with Leslie Flint when Charlotte Brontë’s voice comes in:
What is channeling?
The First Spiritual temple describes channeling as inspirational mediumship. In this form of mediumship, the medium communicates to higher realms and ascendant masters, such as that offered by Gary Renard, Neale Donald Walshe, Paul Sellig, and Shepherd Hodwin . Here’s how the FTS.com describes it:
“First and foremost, like evidential communication, inspirational mediumship seeks to bring together two seemingly separate worlds into one universal kingdom of Spirit; God’s Spirit, as manifested through us, the spirits — that’s you; that’s me; that’s our loved ones who have passed through the portals of death… all inspirational communication which has come to us, over the centuries, from the deeper level of the Spirit has lead humanity to one basic set of truths. The images and symbols of those truths differ, from age to age and from culture to culture, but the basic message of Spirit has, indeed, been steadfast and consistent. This should give us hope and promise that God’s Truth does, in fact, reside within the Spirit…Inspirational mediumship seeks to convey this universal truth to all spirit.” Source: http://www.fst.org/whyseek2.htm
What will happen during a Mediumship session?
During the interview with Necole Stephens, she discusses what typically happens during a mediumship session.
Who comes during a mediumship session?
Video answers. Click on timestamp
- 12:14 Who comes to visit during a mediumship session?
How can you make sure person isn’t a sham?
The quality of your reading has a lot to do with the medium and their ability to keep their personal bias out of the equation and to maintain ethical boundaries.
“ First of all, it is important to keep in mind: all communication from Spirit must pass through the consciousness of the channel; therefore, it will be influenced, to one degree or another, by the medium’s mind and personal prejudices. Secondly, and probably more challenging to the student, is this simple truth: not every spirit sees life through the same set of “eyes”. There is disagreement on some very important issues amongst those of us on the Earth plane; likewise, there is disagreement on some very important issues amongst those of us not on the Earth plane.” Source: http://www.fst.org/whyseek2.htm
VIDEO: What information could you get from a medium?
Video Answers: Frequently Asked Questions about a Mediumship Session
- 12:48 Why some people are harmed when they go to a mediums?
- 15:55 What preparation does Necole do to ensure her clients have a energetic space that is safe and that she gets clear messages?
- 16:49 How do you know if a medium is legit?
- 20:29 How does the connection with a medium and your loved one even happen?
- 21:17 What happens when your loved one doesn’t want to communicate? Why doesn’t a loved one show up?
- 22:25 What information do you need to give the medium for a good reading?
- 23:49 How do you make sure someone doesn’t do research on you?
- 25:40 Will your loved one be just as you remembered?
- 27:27 How can you protect yourself doing these sessions from wayward spirits that want to cause harm?
- 29:00 How it’s easy for Necole to stop wayward spirit from entering into a session?
- 29:21 What does it mean to be haunted by someone?
- 31:09 Who shows up during a reading?
- 32:27 What are messages that loved ones want to share with us? How does the medium affect the messages?
- 34:12 How do you make sure messages from loved ones are clear and real?
- 34:40 Do our loved ones hear us when we are talking to our loved ones in our heads or out loud?
- 35:11 Can you connect with past life versions of yourselves?
- 35:56 Is connecting to the spirit world something Necole does 24×7?
- 37:10 What are the ethics involves in sharing messages that may be challenging?
- 39:12 What kind of information do spirits shared with loved ones?
- 43:30 Do spirits feel emotions?
- 43:51 Is there a hell and heaven? What realms do mediums connect to?
- 46:12 What has Necole learned about the after life?
What can you get from a reading?
If you are seeking closure, or just comfort, a reading can help give you a sense of where your loved one landed, and to resolve any unresolved issues that create an emotional unrest.
“ Our work with mediumship has shown us, clearly, that communicating with spirit loved ones can be a tremendous source of resolve, closure, and, especially, healing. How often have we seen loved ones, reaching across the doorway of life, in order to express how sorry they are for the errors of the past. This applies not only to those in the body, but in Spirit as well. The opportunity to say “I’m sorry” can bring with it an amazing healing for all concerned. Although death does not suddenly give us insight into all of life’s wonders and mysteries, it does change things. Spirit perceives things from a different perspective. The very fact that an individual awakens in Spirit, alive and well, can be a most amazing revelation in itself. Thus, spirit is anxious to relate to their earthly loved ones what they have come to see and how they have changed since their passing” http://www.fst.org/whyseek2.htm
What messages do you receive during a reading?
FST.org offers their perspective on the kind of messages you may receive during a reading:
“Finally, what would spirit wish to communicate to us? Obviously, no one can make categorical statements, here, but just think about it for a while. Some mediums pride themselves at being able to give names, addresses, telephone numbers, license plate numbers, and other such trivial information. As interesting as all this may be to the observer, what does it actually prove or demonstrate? Certainly, it is impressive. Certainly, it proves that some type of psychic link has been established between the medium and the sitter. But, does it really prove survival? Does it really prove that the medium is in contact with your spirit loved one? Not necessarily.
In order to explain our reasons here, let me ask you a question. If you were to die and were suddenly given an opportunity — perhaps the only one — to communicate to your earthly loved ones, what do you think you would want to say to them? Would you really want to given them your old address or telephone number? Would you really want to talk about money and romance? Would you not rather wish to convey who you REALLY are: the nature of your personality; your likes and dislikes; what motivated you in life; memories of things you did with your loved ones while on earth? In other words, would you not prefer to convey: “It’s really me; I am here with you; I am OK”?
This is precisely the difference between a medium and a psychic. A psychic can give names and addresses. But, only a medium — one who has touched and linked with the spirit of your loved one — can convey the true essence, love, and spirit of that person. And that bears with it the greatest of evidence and comfort to one who is grieving.” http://www.fst.org/whyseek2.htm